1. … is not politics
Architecture is not community activism nor social policy, so stop proscribing behaviour.
2. … requires open debate from all shades of opinion
An architect’s politics, attitude and tone are irrelevant; is their architecture any good?
3. … is not about evidence or consensus
Architecture is not a scientific data set; designs should be challengeable
4. … is not about positive discrimination
Opportunities should be merited, not arising from gender, race or other special pleading
5. … needs challenging, knowledge-based education
Universities’ core role is to educate students, not patronise, indoctrinate nor pass them regardless
6. … should encourage not restrict design imagination
Architecture should think the unthinkable; there should be no proscription on ideas
7. … requires greater global exchange
Less localism and critical regionalism; more immigration, mobility and experimentation
8. … needs more critique
Formulate opinions that go beyond received wisdom, sycophancy and contempt.
9. … will not save the planet
Stop seeing human activity as harmful, the environment as sacrosanct and creativity as potentially destructive
10. … needs more critical engagement
We need something new. Take a stand
Comment of support
Do Not Fill This Out